Karen Skolfield Wins the 2012 First Book Award for Poetry at Zone 3 Press

Karen Skolfield (Superstition Review fall 2011 contributor) has won the First Book Award for Poetry from Zone 3 Press, with Nancy Eimers as the final judge. Skolfield’s manuscript Frost in the Low Areas will be published fall 2013. To find out more about Skolfied, visit her online at http://www.karenskolfield.blogspot.com/

The book will contain the poem published in Issue 8 of Superstition Review.

Follow Me

Superstition Review

Superstition Review is the online literary magazine produced by creative writing and web design students at Arizona State University. The mission of our journal is to promote contemporary art and literature by providing a free, easy-to-navigate, high quality online publication that features work by established and emerging artists and authors from all over the world. We publish two issues a year with art, fiction, interviews, nonfiction and poetry.
Follow Me

Latest posts by Superstition Review (see all)

11 thoughts on “Karen Skolfield Wins the 2012 First Book Award for Poetry at Zone 3 Press

• September 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm
    Permalink

Karen Skolfield’s poem in Issue 8 is a true beauty that incites rereadings and thinking long after you finish it. Congrats to her and good luck on the new book!

Reply
  • September 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm
    Permalink

Congrats to Skolfield on the award and book! Like Monica said, I really love “Lost Mountain”. The first line is thought-provoking and immediately draws you in. The poem has a big impact and leaves you thinking.

Reply
  • September 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm
    Permalink

I am so glad for her and for the post on this, just because it allowed me to find and read “Lost Mountain” . What a mind stirring poem. Using such simple language and provoking stark images. Will be looking forward to her book.

Reply
  • September 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm
    Permalink

Congratulations to Karen Skolfield for her award! I look forward to “Frost in the Low Areas”. In regards to “Lost Mountain” I love how Karen Skolfield engages the reader by breaking her lines to lead into the next. I also love the somewhat comical narration and I hope her novel has a similar tone.

Reply
  • September 29, 2012 at 11:58 pm
    Permalink

My favorite stanza of “Lost Mountain” was the last one. Excuse the cliché, but the three concluding lines struck a chord. It was simplistic but beautiful. Congratulations to Karen!

Reply
  • September 30, 2012 at 8:25 am
    Permalink

We’re very happy for her as well. There are so many things to love about “Lost Mountain.” Congratulations again, Karen!

Reply
  • September 30, 2012 at 9:37 am
    Permalink

Congratulations, always nice to see quality writers continue to get published.

Reply
  • September 30, 2012 at 10:16 am
    Permalink

Always wonderful to see previous SR contributors going on to do great things, congratulations Karen!

Reply
  • September 30, 2012 at 4:33 pm
    Permalink

Love to hear that people are working forward constantly! It’s great inspiration to the bottom feeders like me!! Congrats!

Reply
  • October 1, 2012 at 8:29 am
    Permalink

Congratulations, Karen!

I, too, enjoyed reading “Lost Mountain.” I love the imagery and the subtle humor (especially the part about losing expensive sunglasses, ha). Very well done!

Reply
  • October 5, 2012 at 8:54 am
    Permalink

Congratulations! Based on my reading of “Lost Mountain” I can say that Karen’s writing deserves to be rewarded. I’m looking forward to reading “Frost in the Low Areas”.

Reply