Internship Opportunities for ASU Undergraduates Spring 2020

Superstition Review

Internship Opportunities with Superstition Review 

Are you an ASU student interested in creative writing, publishing, marketing, social networking, blogging, or advertising? Do you wish you could get marketable job skills while earning college credit? Do you like to have a little fun while you learn? Then an internship with Superstition Review is right for you. All work is done completely online through Blackboard, Google Docs, Google Hangouts, and email. We welcome interns from all fields.

Superstition Review is the online literary magazine produced by creative writing and web design students at Arizona State University. Founded by Patricia Murphy in 2008, the mission of the journal is to promote contemporary art and literature by providing a free, easy-to-navigate, high quality online publication that features work by established and emerging artists and authors from all over the world. We publish two issues a year with art, fiction, interviews, nonfiction, and poetry. We also enjoy honoring all members of our Superstition Review family by maintaining a strong year-round community of editors, submitters, contributors, and readers.

Superstition Review was recently featured by the ASU Academic Senate as an example of academic excellence. Here is a video highlighting one program from each of the four ASU campuses. SR is housed on Polytechnic, which appears at the 5:45 mark.

Trainees

Trainees will register for a 3 credit hour ENG 394 course. The course will offer a study of the field of literary magazines, it will introduce students to the processes and practices of a national literary publication, and it will include review and reading of contemporary art and literature. Students will be encouraged to create their own literary brand that will help make them more marketable for publishing jobs. ENG 394 students are paired with current interns and are encouraged to participate in #ArtLitPhx, our support of Arts and Literary events in the Phoenix area. Upon successful completion of ENG 394, trainees will enroll in ENG 484 and become active interns with the magazine. (The internship is not available for First-Year students or ASU Online students.)

Applications are open on a rolling basis.

What Interns Say:

• Trish provided valuable experience in my field of interest that is not offered anywhere else. This class has been a huge eye-opener for me and I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to work in the publishing and editing industry before graduating.
  • The skills I learned have given me a huge amount of confidence as I begin my search for a job, and I’m so glad this course was available.
  • Trish is enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and very trusting of her students. Although all the work for SR goes through her, she allows for students to take control and engage in the work fully. Thanks for the wonderful experience!
  • Trish is extremely personable and is great at making people feel welcomed and she listens very well to her students.
  • Trish is extremely accessible and welcoming. I felt very comfortable coming to her with questions. I feel I got a great internship experience that will help me post graduation.
  • Very organized, and even though it was an online class, the instructor was always willing and available and kept in contact through email.
  • I was able to learn so much about publishing, editing, and running a magazine.
  • Trish is very knowledgeable, friendly, respectful, and encouraging. She truly values her students.
  • Trish is very knowledgeable. She’s technologically savvy, and very educated in literature and the arts, as well as aware of current happenings in the modern literature and art world.

Please follow us on our social networks:

Follow Me

Superstition Review

Superstition Review is the online literary magazine produced by creative writing and web design students at Arizona State University. The mission of our journal is to promote contemporary art and literature by providing a free, easy-to-navigate, high quality online publication that features work by established and emerging artists and authors from all over the world. We publish two issues a year with art, fiction, interviews, nonfiction and poetry.
Follow Me

Latest posts by Superstition Review (see all)

13 thoughts on “Internship Opportunities for ASU Undergraduates Spring 2020

• October 18, 2015 at 9:53 am
    Permalink

I can already tell that my time as a trainee has paid off– I have learned so much about the world of online publishing and lit mags. I have also learned a great deal about how to utilize social media and the role it plays with S[R]. I am looking forward to being an intern next semester and having the chance to mentor someone else. It is definitely a worthwhile experience and I would encourage anyone to do it! Will be passing along the information to my friends as well.

Reply
  • March 13, 2016 at 8:13 pm
    Permalink

I have share this in my social media! Hopefully lots of students sign up! This is being a great experience so far! Thanks

Reply
  • March 13, 2016 at 9:21 pm
    Permalink

I am so excited to apply for this and be an intern! I’ve loved the trainee program, and I’m excited to continue on in the fall!

Reply
  • March 14, 2016 at 7:38 am
    Permalink

It has only been a few months but I am definitely enjoying my time training with Superstition Review. I can’t wait to be an intern in the fall!

Reply
  • March 15, 2016 at 12:51 am
    Permalink

Internship Opportunities for ASU Undergraduates 2016, good information for me

Reply
  • March 16, 2016 at 9:30 am
    Permalink

I really enjoy the opportunities and assignments given to us by Trish. She is always willing to work with students and encourages student participation through the assignment. Superstition Review is an awesome way to get exposure to the literary magazine world, one that I will continue to explore after.

Reply
  • October 16, 2016 at 1:44 pm
    Permalink

This is a wonderful opportunity. I have really enjoyed my time so far as a trainee and I have learned a great deal. It is for sure worth applying for, you wont regret it.

Reply
  • October 17, 2016 at 9:49 am
    Permalink

I never realized how big the art and literature community was until taking this training! I feel so much more informed and included in a community of peers and writers across America.

Reply
  • Pingback: Opportunities 9.20.17 | cronkiteCAREERservices

• October 16, 2019 at 9:50 am
    Permalink

This is a great opportunity to learn more about the ins and outs of publishing from Trish, who has so much experience and wisdom to relay to her interns and trainees. As a trainee, the skills I’ve learned so far in social media will help me not only in publishing but in all other areas of my life. I highly recommend this program!

Reply